Re: Topband: Vertical Dipoles on 160 Meters

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Vertical Dipoles on 160 Meters
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 12:14:05 -0700
On 5/7/2021 10:31 AM, John Crovelli wrote:
For those who have limited space and are unable to lay out an effective ground
system, the vertical dipole offers a very worthwhile alternative to an
Inverted-L or low Inverted-V.

Yes, and so is the end-loading technique shown in the K2KQ design. N6BT has used it extensively in his designs, and W6GJB and I have used it for portable designs for county expeditions and Field Day. The Hy-Gain AV-series and Cushcraft R-series antennas are loaded and trapped vertical dipoles.

VK4YB's 630m end-fed, end-loaded designs for 630m are an even more innovative design -- I helped W6GJB tailor one of those designs to his real estate, and Glen has worked Roger on that band. See VK4YB's qrz page.

The key to these designs is realizing that it's current that does the radiating, and maximizing the current in vertical section of the antenna. I do this in NEC by studying the display of current in the View Antenna window.

73, Jim K9YC

It is relatively easy to build, install, and tune.  The K2KQ article has been
followed by hundreds with success.