Re: Topband: New Subject: 160M array feedline question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: New Subject: 160M array feedline question
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 05:32:53 -0500
Inspect your feedline you plan to use (sounds like it is Heliax) and
make sure the jacket is undamaged.  If it is okay, you can bury it or
just lay it on the ground and it won't matter if water covers it.  Of
more concern is keeping the junction where the feedline divides dry.

If you use enough radials, you won't have to worry about the feedline
shield becoming a radial.  It will be one, but the RF on it will be
minimal because it will be one among many radials.  But you have to
have a lot of radials.  I am taking your description of the field
being under water for only a couple of weeks a year into account.

If you are concerned about animals chewing on the line, burying it or
elevating it may be needed.  I've had something chew on my 1/2 inch
line but I guess rodents realize the jacket isn't the same as wood so
they don't go very far.  The line is fine due to the solid copper
shield.  This is one of the reasons why Heliax is superior to braided
shield line and a worthwhile investment.

73
Rob
K5UJ