Topband: One Way Propagation.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: One Way Propagation.
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 19:35:22 -0000
I must admit, that even when I started out on Top Band 50 years ago, and my
CR100 Receiver didn't have an S Meter, I think I was pretty good at
estimating how strong signals were (ie how many uV were arriving at my front
end) by the position of the RF gain !

But once I had a commercial rig with a decent S Meter, I always made sure
they were properly calibrated . . . ie that S9 corresponded to 50uV, and
that each S Point was around 6 dB.  And would always give proper signal
strength reports. (as I find most people do these days)

And I totally agree with you Greg . . . somebody can be perfectly readable
yet only S1 on a very quiet band (like 10m) . . . or S8 but be unreadable,
due to a high noise level on 160m !  (this is why I find S/N reports - like
RBN gives - pretty meaningless . . . what I really want to know is how
strong my signal is!)

But anyway . . . coming back to my original question . . . I wonder how
often others have noticed a big disparity between Sent and Received signals
on Top Band?

The best examples are when you work the same DX station regularly, and you
know that you USUALLY exchange similar reports  . . . ie when he is S5,
that's what you are with him . . . when he gives you S9, he's S9 with you
(and you know conditions are good!)

But every so often he might be S3, yet he's giving you S8 . . . or
vice-versa.

Some have said this sometimes happens around Sunrise or Sunset . . . but I
actually tend to avoid those times these days, as far from being any PEAK
(like there always used to be), there is often a DROP in signals.   So I
sometimes notice this disparity in the middle of the night . . . which I
obviously can't explain . . . but then again 160m Propagation has always
been a bit of a mystery !

Roger G3YRO