Re: Topband: Stew Perry

To: David Raymond <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Stew Perry
From: w5zn@w5zn.org
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2020 10:26:45 -0700
I want to amplify what Dave said and Dave, thanks for the post!

73 Joel W5ZN

On 2020-12-25 10:22, David Raymond wrote:
Best wishes and Holiday greetings Topbanders. . .

There will be many of us looking forward to operating the Stew Perry
contest this weekend.  It's a great contest, unique in it's own way,
and a lot of fun.  A few thoughts to share:

If you're running a 6L6 tied to the gutter (i.e., QRP) please know
that I and others DO want to work you and get you in the log!  That
may take some considerable patience on both our parts. Please, please
don't be feel bad or be hesitant about sending your call multiple
times.  Dumping your call once or twice at 30 wpm just doesn't cut
it.  There are quite a few of us with multiple tools in the arsenal to
receive your weak signal.  Going through variations of multiple
receive antennas and multiple directions trying to pull you through
takes some time.  If I have to resort to using the APF (with a few
cycles, er Hz, bandwidth) that takes additional time and complicates
things further.   If a QSO can't be made please try later. . .
conditions change.  On a different matter, I'm sure it's frustrating
to be a DX station relative to NA.  I and others DO want to work you
and will do our best.  I try to stop, listen, and call specifically
for DX on the hour and half hour.  After working a DX station I often
find another is waiting next in line to call me so I'll listen for
additional DX stations giving them priority for a  Q. . . NA can wait
a bit.

This is a really enjoyable contest. . . let's get on and have fun in
the Stew!         73. . . Dave, W0FLS  (in Iowa)