Re: Topband: Looking for user experience: DXEngineering Thunderbolt 160m

To: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Subject: Re: Topband: Looking for user experience: DXEngineering Thunderbolt 160m vertical
From: Dave Cuthbert <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 09:03:11 -1000
I refined the DX Engineering Thunderbolt EZNEC model to be exactly like the
actual antennat by changing the capacity hat wire size.

It is resonant at 1930kHz. 2.15uH of series inductance tunes it to 1820kHz
where the input impedance is 4.8 ohms. GND + coil loss of 3.2 ohms gives
the claimed DX Engineering typical 2:1 SWR bandwidth of 40kHz. Radiation
efficiency -- if you can get a 3 ohm GND, is 60%.

    Dave KH6AQ