Re: Topband: Suggested Frequency

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Suggested Frequency
From: Roger Parsons via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 14:09:53 +0000 (UTC)
Joe WB9SBD wrote:

<Our club is working on a project where we will be able to use a AM Broadcast
antenna on 160 meters.>

and Rick N6RK wrote:

<I wouldn't get too excited about this project.>

and there were other naysayers.

I have been using a very similar antenna tower to that described by Joe for the
past 18 years. (325' with 120 x 1000' radials.) It works noticeably better than
my 95' top loaded vertical over 120 x 150'+ radials. For the first few years
there was a 30kW AM station beaming straight at me from 1/2m away. A band-stop
filter cured that, and I can hear well from the site.

Whllst I accept that there have been challenges along the way, it has
nevertheless been a very worthwhile project.

73 Roger
VE3ZI/G3RBP