Re: Topband: Good conditions, Little Activity

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Good conditions, Little Activity
From: W7RH <midnight18@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 23:42:39 +0000
I agree to a certain extent that there has been a bit less CW activity. I hope at some point the novelty of FT8 wears off, but I won't take that away from the guys having fun. Yawn. Early the second week of September and the last two evenings have seen a burst of activity and quite good opening to EU.

That is 4 days out of 40 that have had decent propagation with no major geomagnetic activity. I get sleepy just thinking about it. I might also mention that the last two evenings have been almost lightning free beaming across North America towards EU. We are here and the lights are coming on. For us old school earthlings it takes a lot of work both on RX and TX to be heard and worked through the aurora ring of lights. Kudos to all those that accepted that challenge.

Now if I were to be so lucky I would be further south and east or like Steve VE6WZ live under the aurora circle and thus have a path towards Europe.

Last night I had a good opening to the Urals and the Baltic. Russian stations in UA1,3 and 4 sounded like locals. LY7M was good as usual and some good signals from Lapland, Sweden and Norway. Just a few Western EU were making it above the noise floor G3YRO was one. The opening was short lived, gone in an hour or two.The VK and ZL boys have been very active all summer helping to keep band alive. More JA stations are now showing up as well. If we could just teach the BY stations CW and station construction practices for 160m we would be in good shape!

The good news is the end of cycle 25 is sounding a lot like it's predecessor. I'm definitely looking forward  to the winter months. Anything is better than nothing.

Bob, W7RH

--
W7RH DM35qj

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." - Albert Einstein