Re: Topband: Some experiments with a short beverage, not succeeding very

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Some experiments with a short beverage, not succeeding very well
From: Mail 10 <mail10@barefoothorse.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2020 11:27:43 +1000
I read somewhere that one test for a receiving antenna is to compare the received noise floor against no antenna, during the day with little atmospheric noise. There should be a *slight* lift in the noise when the receive antenna is connected. This is as little as 2-3 dB at my QTH, a rural area.

My Beverages are 270 metres long, made of galvanised steel fencing wire, on runs of RG-6 out to about 300 - 400 m. Output is typically just above receiver noise floor during the day, maybe -125 dBm. At night, I see 20 dB or so more signal + noise on my dipole or vertical than any of the Beverages. I can hear better on my Beverages than on my beams on 40 and 30 m.

Previously, I ran a EWE array, with even lower output, but it was still very useful. Receivers have far more gain than we need on the lower frequencies.

I have had a little bit of experience with short Beverages, on DXpedition. Even at the length of yours, they were quite useful. The only problems we've had with short DXpedition Beverages, is when cattle knocked the poles over, or pulled the wire out at the end!

73,

Luke VK3HJ