Re: Topband: Some experiments with a short beverage, not succeeding very

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Some experiments with a short beverage, not succeeding very well
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 16:59:44 -0400
Mark

Tell us more about the transformer? My own experience is that core material and impedance matching at the frequency of interest often pays off.

I have a 200' BOG (N-S) and a 460ft� x 6ft Beverage (E-W) . Both antennas work very well for what they are comparing them to what I hear on the Xmit antenna. In the "development " phase I found that measuring the actual feedpoint impedance and then making sure that the impedance matching� ratios are "close" resulted� in very predictable and repeatable results. I dont have my notes handy , and both my antennas are essentially "Reversible" coax antennas. One transformer turned out to be 3:1 and the other 5:1. I get performance on 160-40, noticeable poorer performance 30M� and� very poor signal signal 20M and above. I attribute this to the matching transformer design which favors the lower frequencies.

Everything for the moment was done using� cheap RG-6. But I will be replacing all of that with a RG-58 construction in the fall.

Dave
NR1DX