Re: Topband: Spurious transmissions on 1830 khz by CKTB (610 kHz), St. C

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Spurious transmissions on 1830 khz by CKTB (610 kHz), St. Catharines ON
From: Roy Morgan <k1lky68@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 15:35:31 -0400
Dave and other Topbanders,

I plan to do some listening from here in Western Mass, USA (Near the junction
of NH/VT/MA).  The wind speed here is expected to peak tomorrow afternoon at 10
MPH,  maybe not enough to jangle what’s loose in Canada.  Is this Saint
Catherine in Quebec?  Near Niagra Falls someone mentioned.  10 MPH there or
below till Sunday’s high of 15 MPH.

> On Mar 26, 2020, at 2:32 PM, David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net> wrote:
>
> I was hearing the St Catherine station very loud on 1830, but with
> intermittent periods where it would dropout. This was at a time with high
> winds in the NE.

I have not yet heard it, but do I remember correctly that the 1830 *harmonic*
of a station on 610 would sound very strange and muffled because the
sidebands/audio wold be multiplied as harmonic also?

> I tried to find CKTB and it is on the same frequency as a local station in NH
> on 610.

I am in Western Mass and so that NH station on 610 may be strong here (at night
at least).  I finally found (on Wikipedia!) that the NH station on 610 is at
Manchester, NH.  Their website does not reveal their location or address that I
can find.

> If I had a local rectification problem, it would involve the strongest local
> stations and not something I can hardly copy.

Yes, I agree.  That makes good sense.

> All I see is the 3rd harmonic of the 610 Canadian station.

It occurred to me to check my memory on this.  If the fundamental is on 610,
isn’t 1220 the first harmonic, and 1860 the second harmonic?  It has been some
time since I had that straight in my mind.  Maybe the fundamental multiplied by
two is the second harmonic.

In this very much stay-at-home time here, I look forward to some radio
listening.

Roy

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958