Topband: Last night on 160

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Last night on 160
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 22:42:48 +0000
I turned on my 160 meter radio around 0100 UT on the 21st, and was greeted by a huge level of noise on 1830. It wasn't too long before I realized that I was listening to an AM BC station. Audio was distorted, but I could copy the ads and they all referred to Buffalo and St. Catherines, Canada.  They finally identified as CKTB AM 610, so I was hearing the third harmonic and it was over S9 on my west and NW beverages! It also was cutting in and out, no doubt from the high winds near Toronto.

I tuned it in on my BC band aircraft receiver and the  main signal on 610 kHz was loud, but being interfered with by other stations on that frequency. It was not a bodacious signal by any means, so I do not suspect a problem in my back yard. There are plenty of louder stations that I did not hear. Being a third harmonic, the signal was wide at 1830 and quite distorted. It covered 20 to 30 kHz of bandwidth.  I e mailed the station but have heard nothing back. I tried calling but the offices were closed when I called last night.  Did anyone else hear this?

Dave K1WHS