Re: Topband: 8 vs 4 direction 4-SQ?

To: mirko.s57ad@gmail.com, john.kaufmann@verizon.net
Subject: Re: Topband: 8 vs 4 direction 4-SQ?
From: Gary K9GS <k9gs@gjschwartz.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 16:26:36 -0500
73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: S57AD <mirko.s57ad@gmail.com> Date:
3/19/20  4:15 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: john.kaufmann@verizon.net Cc: Gary K9GS
<k9gs@gjschwartz.com>, TopBand List <topband@contesting.com> Subject: Re:
Topband: 8 vs 4 direction 4-SQ? If I were younger, if I had enough resources
and huge real estate, I wouldgo for 8-circle BSEF array, which is even simplier
than 4-square (just twophases involved)...73  Mirko, S57ADV V čet., 19. mar.
2020 ob 22:11 je oseba John Kaufmann via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
napisala:> For signals that arrive from directions that are in between the main
lobe> headings of a 4-square, you will lose up to a few dB of S/N compared to>
having 8 directions.  Whether that matters to you is purely a personal>
performance vs. complexity/cost decision.  If 90% of what you work is> covered
by 4 directions, then 4 directions may be good enough.  If you> don't want to
give up any performance in any direction, then go for 8> directions.  There is
no right or wrong answer.>> 73, John W1FV>> -----Original Message-----> From:
Topband [mailto:topband-bounces+john.kaufmann=> verizon.net@contesting.com] On
Behalf Of Gary K9GS> Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 3:11 PM> To:
topband@contesting.com> Subject: Topband: 8 vs 4 direction 4-SQ?>> A couple of
companies, LBS and RemoteQTH, have started selling 8 direction> 4- SQ
controllers.I'm trying to understand if this would be worthwhile. My> reasoning
is that the main lobe is so broad you have the in-between 45> degree directions
covered anyway. Thoughts?73,Gary K9GS> _________________> Searchable Archives:
http://www.contesting.com/_topband - Topband> Reflector>> _________________>
Searchable Archives: http://www.contesting.com/_topband - Topband> Reflector>--
Mirko S57AD_________________Searchable Archives: