Re: Topband: RBN and cluster spots

To: Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RBN and cluster spots
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2020 13:24:19 -0600
As Henk says, I too use the VE7CC “CC Cluster” program.

It is a great program that runs in the background, and becomes the DX cluster
and Skimmer aggregator that will port the spots to whatever logging program or
cluster display you use.
In the VE7CC program you can select which conventional packet cluster you want
to connect to, and there is choice to toggle ON or OFF the skimmer spots.  You
can also choose a myriad of filters to select what countries/continents will be
filtered out either as the DX or the spotter, as well as what bands and even
band segments.
Some guys choose to only get spots from NA spotters with the idea that spots
that come from EU skimmers are no good because they may not hear them.  I
disagree with this logic personally….I want ALL spots, so I know who is where
on the band.  I will RX with my own radio to decide if I can hear them.  That
is why if G3YRO calls CQ tonight, I will know literally within a few seconds.
There are so many EU skimmers any EU CQ is spotted instantly.  Same in NA.
These spots show up on my band map, so I know where the empty spots are between
the EU CQers.  I WILL sometimes filter out the NA CQ spots since I am not
interested in those.

There are other ways to stream the skimmer spots, but the CC cluster program is
really flexible with almost any possible filter combination.

BTW….another really simple way is just go to the RBN web interface here:
http://www.reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=3
<http://www.reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=3>

At the top select >DX spots.  The pull down menu can allow you to show all
HF>160m. Also you can use >build your own filter, and select the DX country or
continent, or the Spotter country and continent. Handy filters.

I really cant imagine not using the RBN skimmer spots in this day and age!

73, de steve ve6wz