Re: Topband: Topband resource

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>, "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband resource
From: Arthur Delibert <radio75a3@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 20:06:36 +0000
Back in the late 90s, there were a pair of articles in QST about a receiving
antenna for 80 and 160 that rejects local noise.  The antenna was low and
horizontal, it was exceptionally quiet even in a somewhat noisy location, and
it had a very high reception angle.  I recall that the authors said they could
hear pretty much everything the "big boys" could hear, but for a shorter window
of time.  Also seems consistent with what Lee said.

Overall, I have to say that 160M propagation is still somewhat mysterious, and
we should be careful about judging too quickly what others describe as their
experience.  We're like the three blind men describing the elephant:  each of
us has hold of a different part and so we have different experiences.  We won't
understand the full picture until we respect and appreciate each other's
experiences.

'Nuf said.

Art Delibert, KB3FJO