Re: Topband: Source for durable ladder line?

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Source for durable ladder line?
From: Jeremy Maris <jeremy@maris.plus.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 11:16:25 +0000
> On 13 Jan 2020, at 02:05, Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Exactly how much is "a *lot* of loss", Jeremy? Too many knowledgeable
> Topbanders have used it over the years --with great success-- for it to
> have enough loss to matter.

There’s a good thread on this here:

https://topband.contesting.narkive.com/GKD4HWdS/topband-wd-1a-2-way-beverage

We have some remote beverages  fed via about  700m/2400ft of low loss coax -
around 6dB loss on 1.8MHz  We have a bi-directional  E/W beverage of about
600ft. I’ve not measured the transmission line loss  in the WD-1A  in the
reverse direction but forward/reverse comparison indicates about 10dB loss   on
1.8MHz.  The total loss to the shack in the reverse direction is around 16dB
and weaker USA signals are lost in noise. Worse still of course on 80m.
I now use that E-W Beverage as an  unterminated bi-directional.

From the link above, N1BUG and KV4FZ  have good results with WD1-A . In our
environment the attenuation of WD-1A as transmission line doesn’t play well.

I’m hoping to use a length of coax as the E-W Beverage but haven’t had the time
to do it!

73,

Jeremy Maris G3XDK/G4AQG