Re: Topband: Source for durable ladder line?

To: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>, <john.kaufmann@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Source for durable ladder line?
From: Ulrich Weiß <dj2ya@t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 10:57:01 +0100
we do not use WD-1A wire for our 2-wire beverages @CR3W any more as the attenuation of it (used as a 2-wire-line) is even higher than that of RG-58... we use 180m of the 300 Ohm flat line (of DX-Wire, DK1RP)) for our EU-Beverage and abt 120 m of 75 Ohm-SAT-cable (cu - not stacu!) for our NA-Beverage, both with excellent results... of course, with the proper transformers on BN-202-73 cores... from our experience, I would recommend 75 Ohm-Coaxial cable, as it is relatively cheap and rugged and its attenuation is hardly worse than that of the more expensive 300 Ohm ribbon... however, the inner conductor must be solid copper as the copper plating of "stacu" is too thin for low frequencies and causes unexpectedly high attenuation there... twisted WD-1A is ideal for 1-wire beverages, because of its ruggedness and the chance to check for continuity if the 2 wires are connected at the end, and, of course, for its low price...
vy 73
Uli, DJ2YA

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- From: Herbert Schoenbohm