Re: Topband: 160m vertical saltwater grounding

To: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m vertical saltwater grounding
From: Gary K9GS <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2020 18:46:18 -0600
I'm thinking Scarborough Reef?73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com> Date:
1/8/20  6:25 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: Robert Fanfant <rfanfant@hotmail.com> Cc:
topband@contesting.com Subject: Re: Topband: 160m vertical saltwater grounding
How big is the land area?Stan, ZF9CW> On Jan 8, 2020, at 4:30 PM, Robert
Fanfant <rfanfant@hotmail.com> wrote:> > > Am looking to activate a location
with very limited space surrounded by ocean. Think of a small rock surrounded
by saltwater/ocean.  The vertical will be a tall 60’+ fiberglass pole and made
to resonate on 160m. I would like a way to reduce the required space of the
160m antenna radial field due to the limited physical space available. The
vertical will be located at the waters edge, or even possibly over the oceans
surface. At the feed point, will be a choke designed for 160m. We should also
assume maximum power of 1.5KW being fed into the vertical and the activation
will be for a 2 week duration of time.> > One idea that came up is to use a
floating piece of conductive material as the verticals counterpoise.
Specifically,   a thin conductive plate designed to float on the oceans
surface. From the antenna’s feed point, will be a short length of  ground wire
say about 6’ long,  to this conductive plate.> > Question(s):> >  1.  Is it
possible to just use the ocean as the ground plane / counterpoise ? That is,
can this idea work?>  2.  If so,>     *   How do I determine the required
square footage/size of the plate?>     *   What material should be used as the
conductive plate? (Nickel, copper, aluminum, etc..? )The thought here is to
make this plate as light as possible, yet effective. It  will need to last the
duration of the activation (~2 weeks) in/on saltwater, it needs to handle 1.5KW
at the feed point, and likely exposed to air and saltwater as it floats on the
ocean surface.> > -rob N7QT> > > > Sent from
Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10> >
_________________> Searchable Archives: http://www.contesting.com/_topband -
Topband Reflector_________________Searchable Archives:
http://www.contesting.com/_topband - Topband Reflector