Re: Topband: ARRL 160m CW Contest

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160m CW Contest
From: fmoeves <fmoeves@twc.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 11:21:51 -0500
Had a lot of fun in the contest made 139 contacts. I made just a few to EU qrm
from other stations made it tough. I worked into Caribbean OK. But I'm with Wes
it was more like a WAS contest. I just picked up 7610 but did not have time to
get it ready...so maybe better next year. Some things I learned.. I'm pretty
deaf to the west the K9AY loop was the only antenna in that direction. The 7300
receiver is not good  in the middle of a pileup. My South Beverage was good but
I didn't hear much. North Beverage was a little weak. I was also plagued with
my Amp (Acom 2100) tripping out on high swr. My inverted L is very narrow.I'll
have to move it down the band.Anyway had a blast. Fred KB4QZH
-------- Original message --------From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org> Date:
12/9/19  7:11 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: topband@contesting.com Subject: Re: Topband:
ARRL 160m CW Contest Unless you're in NA and looking for DX.  On this end it
was like WAS contest for me.  I did manage to work all continents and a few
ATNO.  Surprisingly I missed some sections in adjacent states, CA, NM and
NV.Strictly a S&P operation with a modest station; inverted-L with only (so
far) a dozen radials and 500W.  No separate RX antennas; as I still hear better
than I get out.  Biggest disappointment was calling and calling and calling the
CQ machine, JT1CO, with no luck (again).  I work many other AS stations who are
weaker than he was so maybe he has a noise problem.Wes  N7WSOn 12/8/2019 3:40
PM, Roger Kennedy wrote:> I had forgotten how good this contest was to work DX
stations . . .>> Unlike the CQ WW there were hardly any Europeans on, so much
easier to hear> them without strong QRM !>> Unfortunately I was at work til
Midnight our time both nights AND had to be> up early in the morning, so
couldn't stay on very long . . . but did manage> to work about 40 NA stations
(despite signals being well down on normal)>> 73 Roger G3YRO>>
_________________> Searchable Archives: http://www.contesting.com/_topband -
Topband Reflector>_________________Searchable Archives:
http://www.contesting.com/_topband - Topband Reflector