Re: Topband: 160m Conditions Last Night

To: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m Conditions Last Night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:18:29 +0000
Funny, but I was QRV on 160 and found conditions rather poor here in Maine. Very few signals heard and what I did hear seemed a bit on the weak side. (SM4CAN and DL8DAS among others.)  I heard Joel W5ZN work Europe and I swear he was hearing better than I was. His 579 was a stretch here with the SM4. I sent 549 when I worked Kent and I had to repeat my call a second time so he got it correctly. I heard VE6WZ calling the same stations and was amazed that he had good conditions while I was struggling with sub par condx. I think my receive setup is all working OK.  The South was definitely the place to be.  A was 3 and K was 1 so things should have been good here, but you never can tell until you start calling!  I use a single vertical and a bunch of beverages in the woods.

Very interesting evening.  I QSYed up to the dreaded FT8 part of the band afterward, and heard much activity. I worked a few stations then went QRT.

Dave K1WHS