Re: Topband: Supplemental ground rod installation for existing 160m towe

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Supplemental ground rod installation for existing 160m tower
From: "John K9UWA" <john@johnjeanantiqueradio.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2019 13:40:02 -0400
   I would stick with the 8 bus runs length of which should be 1/3rd of this
tower & Mast height and the usual 16 foot separation of 8' ground rods
along those bus runs. Be sure to have one of those bus runs that connects
to the other towers grounding systems.

  That is what I was told by Polyphaser techs years ago for this three tower
system that I have. Trangle of bus runs between the three towers. Bus runs
outward from each of the towers no need for overlapping so none of the
tower have 8 runs outward. Plus a single run with NO ground rods from the
tallest tower to the Grounding window at the house where all lines come into
the shack. That single run NOT to be close to the coax,rotor,switchbox lines.
Plus of course the usual perimeter bus run of 16' separation of 8' rods
around parts of the house where any power lines phone lines etc come to
the house. All of the existing utility ground rods to be bonded to this
perimeter bus run. Tallest tower/mast here is 170' Second tallest is 130' and
only 80 feet from the tall one. I have seen that one take hits. The smallest is
88' and I don't know that it has ever taken a hit but it too is part of the
total
single ground system.
John k9uwa

> I have a full size vertical built from 25G running against about 80 1/4
> WL radials - #18 insulated wire sewn into the ground an inch or two
> below ground.  There is a single ground rod next to the base but no
> other ground rods on this tower.
>
> 73/jeff/ac0c
> alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
> www.ac0c.com