Topband: Supplemental ground rod installation for existing 160m tower

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Supplemental ground rod installation for existing 160m tower
From: Jeff Blaine <KeepWalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 12:00:20 -0500
I have a full size vertical built from 25G running against about 80 1/4 WL radials - #18 insulated wire sewn into the ground an inch or two below ground.  There is a single ground rod next to the base but no other ground rods on this tower.

We had a lot of lightning here last week and the tower took a hit which popped a wire off the matching net.  I am going to put a spark gap of some sort on that tower to help address that but it's got me wondering if I should also add in a set of ground rod.

The other towers on the site have extensive ground rod structures.  The nearest tower to the 160m, for example, has 27 rods mounted along 9 bus runs.

If rods are needed, does the existing ground radial screen offer me a discount on what is needed?    I'm assuming that the existing radial field would provide some level of ground coupling for lightning and to get an equivalent level compared to the other tower.  Meaning somewhat less than 27 rods - when combined with the existing 80 1/4WL radial field - would be functionally the same as the other tower has.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com