Re: Topband: Inverted L in contact with leaves

To: Michael Walker <va3mw@portcredit.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L in contact with leaves
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 13:29:20 -0400
I use a 68 foot base loaded vertical wire and what I notice is a
significant downward shift in the resonant frequency during the summer
(like 40 kHz) when leaves are touching my vertical, and when the leaves
fall the resonant frequency comes right back up to where I originally set
it.  My feeling is that the leaves provide additional capacitive loading.
I’m using 12 gauge enamel coated wire so the insulation is very thin which
likely makes my antenna more sensitive to the presence of leaves.

Don (wd8dsb)