Re: Topband: 160

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160
From: Cecil <chacuff@cableone.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 19:42:20 -0500
I would agree a separate DXCC award should be established for operators using
remote stations that exceed a certain distance from the control point...like a
station half way around the world. To me that has more impact on a level
playing field and working rare ones than a mode like FT8...

Cecil
K5DL

Sent from my iPad

> On Aug 2, 2019, at 7:37 PM, Cecil <chacuff@cableone.net> wrote:
>
> Agree...
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Aug 2, 2019, at 7:29 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@subich.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 2019-08-02 8:06 PM, GEORGE WALLNER wrote:
>>> expand the DXCC program by creating a new category! FT-x is
>>> sufficiently different to justify that. The skills need for FT-x are
>>> different from those required for the traditional modes.
>>
>> Absolutely not!  All modes used for DXCC have more skills in common
>> than they have differences.  There is more difference between CW and
>> SSB than there is among RTTY, PSKxx, FTx - yet all count for DXCC
>> Mixed.  The key for any mode is knowing what band/time to choose
>> (when propagation is most favorable) and understanding where the
>> other station is listening.  Those apply to FTx as much as CW or SSB.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>  ... Joe, W4TV
>>

>>> On 2019-08-02 8:06 PM, GEORGE WALLNER wrote:
>>> Nobody is talking about "shutting" anything down.
>>> Quite the opposite: expand the DXCC program by creating a new category!
>>> FT-x is sufficiently different to justify that. The skills need for FT-x
>>> are different from those required for the traditional modes. A new award
>>> category would reflect that.
>>> I would go further, but I don't think too far:
>>> FT-x could be crucial to HAM radio's future. On a recent mini DXpedition I
>>> asked a young and recently licensed HAM to operate FT-8. He said, sure,
>>> give me a minute. He brought his laptop (not the one that was part of the
>>> FT-8 station) and proceeded to operate FT-8, while using his laptop to
>>> watch a movie and was looking at Facebook, and he was in chats with friends
>>> (and HAM-s) on his phone. I was somewhat peeved, until I came to realize
>>> that this is how the new generation lives: multi-threading using their
>>> electronic devices. Unlike us, most of them are not willing to put on the
>>> head-phones and concentrate on weak CW signals for hours, to the exclusion
>>> of everything else. They don't live like that and they will not enjoy a
>>> hobby like that. It is not my place to judge whether this is good or bad.
>>> It is what it is. But to attract this new "multi-activity generation" to
>>> HAM radio (an entire generation, not just the odd kid), the hobby must
>>> offer a mode that is compatible with how they live. FT-8 is perfect for
>>> that: it can be operated remotely from a smart-phone via an app, while
>>> riding a bus or train and doing other things... And, yes, it can be
>>> automated.
>>> There will be nothing wrong with a young HAM working 100 countries in a
>>> month while not even at his station. Good for him! Just don't mix his
>>> achievement with mine. (Is RTTY really a digital mode? It seems to be very
>>> analog these days.)
>>> 73,
>>> George,