Re: Topband: Which RX antenna is better?

To: Chuck Dietz <w5prchuck@gmail.com>, "Rodman, David" <rodman@buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Which RX antenna is better?
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2019 18:32:42 +0000
Agreed Chuck,
 I maybe read David's post differently than he meant it to read also.
   This progression from TX antennas to loops to Beverages to 8 circle arrays
is exactly how Hi-Z began. It is because the 8 circle is head and shoulders
above all other choices at this location that Hi-Z Antennas even exists. Many
different antennas have been tried here as well including loops and long
Beverages.  Many more comparisons have been made between different types that
say under correct hardware application conditions and propagation conditions
the best signal to noise reception for DX stations is with the 8 circles. All
this says nothing about bang for the buck, real estate, or ease of installation
which is a whole different way of looking at this.
   Where low angle DX is concerned I have actually measured the signal to noise
ratio of signals from different receiving antennas and indeed at my location
the best signal to noise reception follows the best RDF antenna. It may be true
that a SAL-30 is appealing for other reasons but there is no way it would ever
produce as good a signal to noise ratio on 160 meter DX signals as a properly
operating 8 circle. Active or passive either one. The SAL antenna makes a great
contest antenna as it has a wider beam width which hears more contest stations
than the very narrow 8 circle patterns. Some Hi-Z contest users actually use
both antennas so when a  weak one comes along they switch to the 8 circle.
   I suggest ones that have not seen them to view Frank  W3LPL's videos on
receiving antennas. This is a very good presentation.

Part 1  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX4eLmJWNeo   part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyZR9uMBnIo

Everyone's mileage may vary.

Lee   K7TJR