Topband: 4sq vs SAL 30 Mkii in a forest

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 4sq vs SAL 30 Mkii in a forest
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 23:55:57 +0000
   Since the inception of the Hi-Z antenna products we have recommended that
the elements be distant from foliage by at least 5 feet clearance. We have also
recommended that tall trees be 10 feet away from the elements. We have had
customers install arrays literally among forests without their reporting
adverse effects on the array performance. With this one exception. A high
impedance array was installed on a small lot in Florida where after a month or
two of scientific experiments it was decided that close Palm tree fronds were
affecting this array installed around a house. The experiments revealed a very
high dielectric property which may be part of the answer to the effect. They
were trimmed back lessening the effect. After many years I recall no instance
where the arrays have reportedly been affected by other types of trees near the
elements. I have no knowledge of the SAL-30 except for meeting KB7GF the
designer at Dayton and comparatively running the NEC model he published.

Lee   K7TJR
Hi-Z Antennas