Re: Topband: BOG near noisy powerline on 160

To: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>, topband reflector <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BOG near noisy powerline on 160
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 20:03:37 +0000
Are you sure that you are hearing power line noise from the antenna, or possibly you are hearing a common mode signal that has bullied its way into your antenna system by getting on the outside of your feedline.  Is your feed line decoupled at each end with ferrite coax chokes?  The choke must be installed about 20-25 ft from the antenna transformer and have its own ground rod. There should be another ground rod and choke where the coax enters your building.  You might also have energy getting into the BOG system from another feeder or wire antenna that may be picking up noise and coupling it into the BOG system.   Why do I say this? (Been there, done that!) Most of my power line noise was common mode energy picked up from other places.

Dave K1WHS