Re: Topband: BOG near noisy powerline on 160

To: topband reflector <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: BOG near noisy powerline on 160
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 15:03:11 -0500 (EST)
Hi Pete,

Unfortunately you've installed your BOG so that the power line
is in the near field of your antenna.

Antennas fully develop their directive patterns in the far field, not
in the near field. Large antennas develop their directivity far
from the antenna, small antennas develop their directivity much
closer to the antenna.

Very large arrays such as phased 1000 foot Beverages and 350 foot
diameter 8 circle arrays develop their directivity 1000 feet or more
from the antenna.

Small antennas such as "magnetic" loops, K9AY and VE3DO loops
develop their directivity less than 100 feet from the antenna.

In your situation the best choice is a small antenna such as a VE3DO
loop as far from the power line as possible. A small magnetic loop
is capable of completely nulling a single RFI source but it has much
lower sensitivity that a VE3DO loop. Talk to PVRC member N3HEE
about his results with a small magnetic loop in his challenging RFI
environment on a small lot.

73
Frank
W3LPL