Topband: A view of FT-8 on 160m from a DX perspective

To: "Topband reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: A view of FT-8 on 160m from a DX perspective
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 11:53:55 +0800
G’day

It has been interesting to read the recent debate about the use of FT-8 on
160m. I think we have been considering its use in purely technical terms – and
its growth really isn’t quite that simple.

Why do people use FT-8 – to work more DX. If more stations from relatively rare
parts of the world with small amateur populations – such as VK6/Zone 29 - use
FT-8 then more stations from the more populous regions of the world will use it
to improve their DXCC count.

However, if sought-after DX stations choose not to use FT-8, then less stations
who chase DX will use FT-8.  The more of us DX that starts using it, the more
it will get used – it is as simple as that.

Neither VK6GX or myself – the most active 160m DX ops here - use FT-8, so if
you need VK6/Zone 29, then CW (or occasionally, SSB) is your best hope of a
QSO.

Now, the elephant in the room.  As we all know, amateur radio is not always
quite amateur radio – and has always been this way.

Some stations from relatively rare, poor parts of the world where large amounts
of contacts and the subsequent revenue from QSLing is important to their
lives/lifestyle may choose to use FT-8 to increase their contact rates – a
perfectly legitimate choice.

Some stations from relatively rare, wealthier parts of the world where large
amounts of contacts and the subsequent revenue from QSLing/QSLing is not
important to their lives/lifestyle may choose not to use FT-8 – a perfectly
legitimate choice also.

When the sunspots increase and working long distances becomes easier again,
FT-8 may become part of the general digital landscape again – but only if those
stations from rarer countries do not continue to use it in increasing numbers.

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ

PS I never look at what is going on on 1840 because I don’t care. ;-)

---