[TowerTalk] Why aren't these universal angle iron brackets designed righ

To: topband@contesting.com, TowerTalk@contesting.com, terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Why aren't these universal angle iron brackets designed right?
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 23:49:10 -0800 (PST)
Hi folks,

I've ran into this problem multiple times and thought I'd ask to see if there
is a simple explanation or if perhaps manufacturers of universal angle iron
brackets as sold in Lowes, Home Depot, etc.  just don't care. I can never find
these 'plumbers tape' type of angle irons that have holes that will match up to
the U-bolts they sell. And it seems the U-bolts are too large half the time for
the holes.  Seems to me that by now it would occur to manufacturers that
U-bolts get used on these angle irons with all the holes so conveniently places
that they would make sure the U-bolts would go through them?

I once had a professor who would say 'if you have a question don't hesitate to
ask it because chances are other people are also wondering that same thing but
were afraid to ask'. So I ask, WHY? Just seems like the hardest thing I keep
running into is to 'somehow' expand a bolt hole to match a bolt or U-bolt. That
just isn't easy.  Maybe clamp down my drill horizontal with an auger style bit
and start drilling?

Somehow I know I'll be able to detune my tower but as usual this problem reared
it's ugly head.

Terry

KI7M