Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 192, Issue 33

To: <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>, <topband@contesting.com>, "'W7RH'" <midnight18@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Topband Digest, Vol 192, Issue 33
From: <n4is@n4is.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 09:57:47 -0500
Hi Dave , Bob and Jay

Fist of all thanks Dave and Bob to bring this discussion to the high level
technical discussion this group is used to, and my public sincere apologize
my friend  Jay for my emotional behavior that I regrets.

160m is a unique band that has only one noise component on sky wave, and it
is atmospheric noise, HF on the other hands has several other component's of
noise including cosmic rays. Going up in frequency atmospheric noise
decrease and cosmic rays increases.

We are in the low part of the solar cycle, propagation on most HF bands are
very poor, but not dead!. The Signal to noise ration is very important. I
was talking with my old friend PY5EG , Atilano Oms, about propagation , He
mentioned that he can hear 15m weak signals on his 72 FT boom 8 elements 15m
Yagi and  can not hear on his 5 element Yagi. The reason is the high
directivity g the large Yagi over the short Yagi. More directivity means you
can hear the signal above the noise on the higher RFD Yagi. Experiments on
VHF , 2m , 6m ant also EME systems, has the same results.

On 160m when you don't have atmospheric noise and no ground wave (manmade
noise), the noise temperature can drop to 70 degree Kelvin, that is lower
than 144 Mhz. In this situation the signal to noise ratio is the Noise
figure of the RX system. However that situation is only present on few days
during the winter nights. Some atmospheric noise is known  by QRN at
distance., or normal propagation noise.

Bob is right about quiet locations, noise near -125 db is rare. Manmade
noise on ground wave is becoming a real problem.

The DRF or directivity improves signal to noise ratio at the antenna feed
point,  all electronic beyond this point deteriorate signal to noise ratio.
If the NF is the same equivalent temperature of the noise the deterioration
is 2.3 db S/N, on 160m  at 70 K the NF of 2 db deteriorates the signal to
noise ratio by 2.3 db. If he noise is above the NF of the system there is no
deterioration because the propagation noise dominates.

When noise is present li my city lot -85dbm average during the day, and my
best ever measured noise -100dBm. RDF plays a lot. 9 db RDF improves the S/N
ratio over 6 db from the vertical TX antenna that has 6 db RDF. Going to the
WF vertical or horizontal  with the same 11.5 db RDF, my 10 years measure
shows 10 db improvement. The HWF rejects mand made noise due a -90db gain on
the main direction, the ground waive is not amplified because it sits below
the MDS of the receiver.  Again, my measures show 20 or more db improve on
signal to noise ratio over my vertical.

Places with different local noise has different results, if the noise is
s9+10 on -63 dBm, you can hear it on the HWF because it's above the MDS of
the receiver. This not considering common mode leak into the RX system, big
issue for all of us.

A good 4 square TX antenna, 4 vertical in phase has 11db to 12 db RDF, the
front lobe is 90 degree. One FLAG, EWE or K9AY, all loaded loops has a
cardioid patter similar 2 vertical ins phase, good front back  and a 120
degree front lobe. Two EWE or Flag or K9AY  phased has the same pattern or
RDF the 4 square, depending on the way it is build the RDF is 11 to 12 db, 4
verticals in phase like the TX array. It is simple like that. * verticals
has better RDF than 4 verticals, over 13 db RDF, and 60 degree front lobe.

It is easy to understand why a loaded loop self-phased by the resistor and
the transformer  has a cardioid pattern over  a large bandwidth , with a
small dimensions loop 1/10 of wave length the loaded loop can maintain the
patter from1 to 10 MHz ,  a smaller loaded loop 3 to 30 MHz, and a very
larger small loop to 300KHz  to 3 MHz .

A delta flag  has one horizontal wire and two wires inclined, let's say 45
degree. The current on the horizontal wire generates a current on the ground
180 degree out of phase and there is a cancelation between them , it is
really a transmit]ion  line, that is why a K9AY can mover the resistor and
transformer to the center, and switch directions using a relay.

The inclined wire current , let's say with a vector module 1, can be
decomposed by one vertical vector .707 module and another horizontal vector
also .707 module, sounds familiar in vectoral algebra. The horizontal
component cancel against the reflected waive from the ground, the vertical
component adds to the reflected wave from the ground like a real vertical.
The EWE, both horizontal wires are really a transition line   phasing the
two verticals.

The Delta Flag or FO0AAA, same thing, can be phased, two phased flag or WF,
is equivalent to 4 verticals. 4 Delta Flags are equivalent to 8 verticals,
you can get 13 db RDF , 60 degree front lobe. Very clean and at low angles.

In general a good phased vertical array outperform and beverage array
because the patter is cleaner and low angle radiation..

In the case of a SAL the vectoral description above apply, the two inclined
wire are really two verticals, the two vertical wire  in the  center works
like a transmission like the almost cancel it self, it depending on the
adjust of the load, The BALUN with 1 turn primary impedance depend on the
impedance ratio, lets say 9:1, a 100 ohms load represent a 900 ohms
impedance  on the secondary.  This load thing is complicated but it works
and the cardioid patter is there, and very similar to a Flag.

Same variation in phasing system like DHDL , has some improvident on RDF but
is not like a 4 vertical because the two inclined wire 180 degree out of
phase cancel it self. There is a .5 or 1 db increase on RDF depending on the
quality of the ground, The DHDL works better on good ground like near the
beach. Same reason the K9AY the horizonal wire is a transmission line with
the ground. The SAL vectoral components are very similar to a DHDL. It is .5
db better than the single FLAG. But enough to give you around 2 db increase
on SNR.

My webinar is available on the WWROF archives, both presentation are there
with the slides in pdf with more complete explanation. The presentation is a
result of 12 years if experiments and data collected on thousands of
measures, limited by my owl resources. It is a start point for more
developments, just a ham contribution with our ham spirit.

73's
JC
N4IS