Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 10:28:33 -0800
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2018 11:57:07 -0800
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
To: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>, john@johnjeanantiqueradio.com,
topband@contesting.com

<I've been shopping for them.  You need a minimum of 1 1/4" depth for
<the PL-259.  That rules out all the cheap ones.  For ~$300 you can
<get an American Beauty with 1 1/2" depth.

<Does anyone have a better idea?

<Rick N6RK

##  we used the american beauty and also other brands of solder pots  at the
telco I worked at.
They were great for mass production of  stuff like  custom made extension
cords, where it split into a
... Y,   with 2  short cables morphed into one.  Every morning, one of us would
plug in the pot, no switch
on em, then hack saw a  2 inch chunk of solid solder bar  off the  12 inch
length..then stuff into pot..and let it melt.
The bars were   aprx 1 inch square.
Flux added to the wires,  applied with thumb  and finger, then  dip into pot,
bam done.   It  would take forever,
using a soldering iron.

## Plan B,  use an american beuty  100 watt soldering iron, with the .375 inch
diam chisel  tip.  Tip is .375 inch diam, then
tapered down on both sides, like a screwdriver.   These come  with the black
wooden handle and  heat shield.     You can
also get  optional  150 watt elements  for them.  Both the  100 watt and 150
watt internal elements use  field replaceable eles.
never changed out an element  ever.  We stopped using em in 1987.  Before that,
they would be on 40 hrs per week, year after year.

##  I have also seen the same american beauty iron, but with a 550-600 watt
element,  larger diameter ele portion, just beyond the
round heat shield, and a bigger   .5 inch  shafted tip. Those are using for
plumbing applications.

##  A buddy in Seattle tells me, for commercial applications, where  PL-259s
are installed to make up jumpers,  a 900 watt  iron is used,
for both braid and center conductor.

##  The bigger  diam and much longer  tips and  100  +  150 watt eles, ensure
no heat loss, bam done.   Esp when using foam type coax.
IF using small  30 and 40 watt pencil irons....and foam coax,  by the time you
get solder to flow into the 4 holes, the foam has melted.
So tinning the braid in a solder pot, or using a 100 /  150 watt iron  makes
sense.  Then its easier to solder the  4 holes..after the fact.

##  The solder pots are the ultimate solution for a lot of various
applications.  A real time saver.   I don’t have a pot, but do have a couple of
100 watt american beauty irons...ours all had at least 10 ft cords on em.

Jim   VE7RF