Topband: Shooting lines over tree tops

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Shooting lines over tree tops
From: James Lee <jlee.nk7b@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 14:23:43 -0600
I have the SS Line Launcher, which uses .22 blanks and can shoot its
custom-shaped projectile a VERY long distance.  I agree with the previously
posted tip of spreading a plastic tarp so that shot line can feed out with
minimal chance of snagging or forming tension knots on itself.  I also like the
trick of figure-8 coiling of shot line, a smart idea.  I use a large cardboard
box to contain my free line—putting that box on ground about 3 feet in front of
me.

I have used my Line Launcher in Vermont to put lines easily over 100-foot tall
trees and place suspension ropes for large horizontal wire loops.  A serious
piece of advice if you use the Line Launcher: Wear Good Ear Protection—the
report is very loud. Second piece of advice: Wear Eye Protection at all times.

This is no toy, but a truly dangerous weapon just as soon as the projectile has
been lowered into the barrel. The gun must be treated with great respect and
disciplined moves. The bad mental trap here to consciously avoid is dropping
your guard because your brain is telling you, “It’s only using blanks”.

Jim
NK7B