Re: Topband: ARRL DXCC - 160 Meters - Station Location and Boundary

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL DXCC - 160 Meters - Station Location and Boundary
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 19:36:16 +0000
A DXCC rule change to allow shared use of a low band RX site that is located
within a specified distance of the main station makes sense to me.

My station hears OK, not top tier by any means, but we work our share when the
local power lines behave.  For the last month, I have had a single source S9
plus as much as 30 db power line noise.  The power company has been notified,
and I am waiting for them to address the problem.

I have available to me a well equipped hilltop station which is equipped for
remote operation.  I don’t want to do full remote, for various reasons, not the
least of which is I want to work the DX from my own station.  It makes no sense
that I can’t within the DXCC rules log on to this station receiver to hear the
DX and transmit from my own antennas. I helped build this station.   The remote
QTH is within 20 miles as the crow flies.   Yet, I can log in and do a full
remote and be in compliance with the rules.

Many of my friends work 160 but are limited by real estate or urban noise.  It
would be great if we could build and share a remote, local receiver site.
Yes, we could do a full remote rx/tx site.  A rx only site would be simpler,
and none of us have any real desire to operate a remote transmitter.

This is not about RHR type remote operation.  I have a very good friend who
physically is unable to do any antenna work and I encouraged him to do RHR.  He
is, and it is working great for him.  It keeps him in the DX game, when
otherwise he would be QRT.

If it were not for my DX Engineering NCC-1 noise canceller, my station would be
dead in the water on low bands while this noise source is active .   With it, I
can do fairly well on reception as long as another 2nd noise source does not
pop up.   This box is remarkable.  It is the best accessory I ever bought for
the station.

73 Chas N8RR