Re: Topband: Edge-wound inductors vs round stock (was Air Wound Coil)

To: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Edge-wound inductors vs round stock (was Air Wound Coil)
From: MU 4CX250B <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 20:15:25 -0700
Don raises interesting points. A couple of minor addenda.  First, keep
in mind that "skin depth," iwhich is the tendency of an AC current to
flow near a conductor surface, is frequency dependent. The skin depth
approaches infinity at zero frequency, which means DC currents are
pretty much uniform throughout  the cross section of a uniform wire.
On 160m the skin depth is about 50 microns.

Second, lines of current tend to repel each other (I.e., spread out)
because the magnetic field of the moving charges repel each other.  In
an edge-wound inductor, the current density will be highest along the
outer thin side of of the inductor. IMHO there is an insignificant
performance difference between it and a traditional inductor.
73,
Jim w8zr

Sent from my iPhone