Re: Topband: Private thanks to you on your posting

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Private thanks to you on your posting
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 17:48:57 +0000
Sat Sep 1 21:21:26 EDT 2018 Bryon Paul Veal NØAH bryonveal at msn.com wrote:
> I think the problem is due to limited high Q antennas on top band, every one
> is
> more concerned about 30Khz of usable DX bandwidth.
> I find a lot of topband and is fully underutilized, much like 80M.

We must remember that not all Top Band operators are weak-signal CW DXer
enthusiasts or contesters, or FT8 operators. Some of us enjoy operating between
1800 and 1815 or so, and 1840-2000.  We ragchew  and participate in other types
of operating activities with foreign and domestic stations using AM, SSB, CW
and all other authorised modes.

I recall starting a  thread a few years ago when the FCC was proposing to
upgrade amateur status on 1900-2000 from secondary/ Radiolocation primary, to
full amateur primary from 1800 to 2000, urging everyone to submit comments to
the FCC in support of this proposal.  I was surprised at the lack of interest
and support.  Fortunately, the FCC proceeded with the proposed change and we
now enjoy primary status across the entire band.

Even those interested solely in DXing in the so-called "window" should have
enthusiastically supported this proposal, since if Radiolocation had remained
primary in the top half of the band, eventually someone might have developed
some kind of technology that qualified to the FCC as "radiolocation" and
possibly crowded amateurs out of the top end of the band.  That would have
meant more congestion in what we had left, including the frequencies used for
weak-signal DX work.

Don k4kyv