Re: Topband: Air Wound Coil

To: "Guy Olinger K2AV" <k2av.guy@gmail.com>, "Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Air Wound Coil
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 10:33:40 -0700

-----Original Message----- From: Richard (Rick) Karlquist
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2018 7:13 AM
To: Jim Thomson ; Guy Olinger K2AV
Cc: TopBand List

<I am sure that flat conductors result in lower Q than round conductor.
<I have done innumerable Q meter measurements to confirm this.
<I didn't say that flat conductors don't work at all.
73
Rick N6RK

## What are you using to measure Q ?? I did discover one anomoly with coils and Q. XL increases as freq increases. XL= 2 pi * F * L. However, Q = XL / ESR. ESR, due to skin effect, only increases to the sq rt of the ratio of the freqs involved.
IE,  10m has  double  the ESR that the same coil has on 40m.

## A say 5 uh coil has DOUBLE the Q on 28 mhz... vs the same 5 uh coil on 7 mhz.... go figure. However, the same 5 uh coil will handle double the RF current on 40m..as it will on 10m.

## I have 2 of these .375 edge wound rollers. The 2nd one has less uh, but has a nice tapered pitch at one end. 50 uh vs 40 uh. I strap out the excess with those clips. 22-24 uh used on 160m. Its all shorted out when on 20-17-15m..as an outboard .375 tubing coil is used on those bands, tapped with a
modified  HV solenoid.   This is on a hb amp.  17 + 15m share the same tap.

Jim  VE7RF