Re: Topband: Air Wound Coil

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Air Wound Coil
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 07:13:09 -0700

On 8/31/2018 6:09 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:

##  Are you sure about this ?   I have used  .25 edge wound rollers,

I am sure that flat conductors result in lower Q than round conductor.
I have done innumerable Q meter measurements to confirm this.
I didn't say that flat conductors don't work at all.

##  I have also tried winding  strap coils  flat, like what you used to see for a 10M  tank coil. That works superb for LOW amounts of uh.   Then you can also minimize the spacing between adjacent turns.   Typ used on 12-10-6m linear amp tank coils..and

What matters for inductor optimization is the winding PITCH, IE
the center to center distance between adjacent turns.  In a strap
wound inductor, closing up the gap between the turns, at some point
exacerbates proximity effect and lowers Q.  In any event, making
low value inductors is problematical; there is no way to get the same
Q that you would get at higher values, even if you use round conductors. The only workaround AFAIK is to use 2 inductors in parallel,
each with twice the desired value, oriented so as to not
have much mutual inductance.  Or use a single turn loop, over
a ground plane, to reduce inductance.  Of course the ground plane
decreases Q, so nothing is free.

##  I have had nothing but grief  with tubing coils used in roller

Agreed, edge winding is a necessary evil for roller coils.  But you
do pay for it with a Q reduction.  Now that I have an Rig Expert
AA-55, I find that I can measure the antenna impedance and then
model the design with SimSmith, and finally build the
matching network on the bench with fixed inductors, and
then I don't need roller inductors out at the antenna, because
the matching network works the first time I try it.  Just in case,
I can get a moderate amount of adjustability by using self supporting
coils (with the form removed) and then squeezing or spreading the
turns.  Force 12 sells a motorized "Tornado" coil that does this.

Jim   VE7RF

73
Rick N6RK