Re: Topband: Power / Control cable

To: no3m@no3m.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Power / Control cable
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 11:46:25 -0700

On 7/16/2018 8:36 AM, Eric NO3M wrote:
I'm in the process of finding a replacement cable to supply power (+24VDC) and differential serial signaling (RS-485) to my remote RX switching matrix and vertical arrays.  Total run is about 600ft. The

Consider converting your remote equipment to run on 48 volts.
It's very simple these days.  Go to mouser.com and search on
DC to DC converters made by "MEAN WELL".  Easy and cheap.
Now you can drop down 6 gauges on your cable; that's 1/4 of
the copper you had before.  Since the DC to DC converters
also regulate, you might be able to go to even smaller wires
by feeding say 60V out to the remote.

At the control end, add a +24 to -24V converter that runs off
your existing +24 supply.  The remote converter has an isolated
input so you can run it on +/-24V for its 48V input.  This
avoids any shock hazard since no voltage is more than 24V
from ground, as before.

Rick N6RK