Re: Topband: cutting coax stubs for 80 meter 4-square

To: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: cutting coax stubs for 80 meter 4-square
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 07:29:39 -0700
On 6/10/2018 8:01 PM, terry burge wrote:
All's well that ends well I'm happy to report. K2AV, Guy suggested I check the
SO-239 on the Rig Experts AA-170 and I found an open solder joint between the
back of the connector and the circuit board. Even with my close in glasses and
a magnifying glass it was hard to be certain. So a little solder and
'hop-a-long' rides again! It's working. Will check out the coax stub again to
see what the RE reads now.
Terry
KI7M

My AA-55 is a different model than yours, but the instructions
have curious warning about not putting too much force on the
UHF connector.  I am thinking that RE realizes they have a
weak mechanical mounting, relying on solder.  I think I will
revise my advice:

1.  Always use a DC block
2.  Carefully attach a short flexible coax jumper and leave
in place.  Calibrate it out.  Then connect the DUT to the
end of the jumper.  No mechanical stress on the UHF.

Rick N6RK