Re: Topband: 80 meter 4-square

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 80 meter 4-square
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 17:40:01 -0300
If I've learned anything in my 40yrs a ham, then I know you'll get replies
from all sides.

I'll just advise you to build it and see.

A couple years ago I asked a similar type of question about a 4Sq array of
wire inverted L's

in the sloping woods.  I have 2 raised radials per. (I also have them on 40
& 20)

Got lots of replies that it wouldn't work, or wouldn't work well.  Both 80
and 40 work great.

I had a 2el array of low inverted L's on 160m (needs repair now_)

The 80m one works well. It doesn't work "VY2ZM, K1LZ or VE1ZZ" well, but it
works.

Build it and they will come.

Mike VE9AA..

Hello Guys and Gals,

I have been planning on building an 80 meter 4-Square around my 117' tower.

know it will likely require detuning the tower to make it 'invisable' to the

4-square so that is probably in the cards. Because of the difficulty of my

particular location have to consider shifting the array a bit. Wondering if

offsetting it from the tower a couple of feet to the east would matter? I've

also thought about slightly orienting the 4-square instead of on N-S-E-W to

turn it like 10 degrees where the north-south lineup of verticals would be
more

like 10 degrees - 190 degrees and the east west accordingly. The reason for

this would be that the side hill to the NE where I have my one vertical has

about 5 foot dropoff to the level ground. Basically I like in a gorge area
with

a seasonal creek through it but you deal with what you have of course.

Any thoughts pro or con?

Terry

KI7M

Mike, Coreen & Corey