Re: Topband: Soil conductivity maps

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Soil conductivity maps
From: "John K9UWA" <john@johnjeanantiqueradio.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 09:48:24 -0400
Dave is 100% correct. If I were selecting a new QTH my priorities would be:

#1 As far south in the country as possible due to better propagation.

#2 Noise issues. The property must be Large as in acres not in feet and inches
in
size. It must also be away from other homes and businesses. It really needs to
be
out in farming country well away from any possible chances of someone building
factory across the road. See post by Lee TJR. I know guys who can hear a
Plazma TV set up to 1 mile away from their antennas. You don't need to put up
with that if you own or are far enough away from others.

#3 Soil Conductivity that patch showing 30 in the very south of Texas looks
good
as long as #1 and #2 above are met.

John k9uwa only 29 left on my 160m Need List

> If you are interested in topband propagation. . .being located in the north,
> or
> at least the north central part, is not the optimum place to be.  Being on
> topband here in Iowa for the past three decades, I can attest that those to
> the
> south of me (even Missouri) enjoy consistently better prop to both EU and
> Asia.
> Here in the upper midwest we are constantly fighting the aurora oval.  I am
> forever hearing guys roughly near my longitude but 400 - 1000 miles to the
> south
> working things that I cannot even detect.          73. . . Dave, W0FLS

John Goller, K9UWA & Jean Goller, N9PXF
Antique Radio Restorations
k9uwa@arrl.net
Visit our Web Site at: