Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change is Upon us!
From: Ken Claerbout <kenk4zw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 14:24:22 -0400
Seems like this is a matter of personal preference, where our
individual interest lies, and what motivates us to operate.

Some of you may know my attempts to activate XW on the lowbands these
past few years.  My success on Topband to the US, most difficult path,
has been limited at best.  It seems this would be an opportunity ripe
for use of FT8.  Personally, I have ZERO interest in doing so.  I’d
rather stay home or, drink beer with the guys at night than do that.
Just my personal preference.  Nothing wrong with those who would do it
different.  Same with RHR.  I’ve seen it used to overcome propagation
challenges that someone has from their home QTH.  I don’t think much
of it, I don’t understand the satisfaction, but I recognize it’s
allowed for DXCC and people still feel good about working someone that
way.  Your prerogative.

I got involved in lowbands around the age of 17 because I loved the
challenge.  That and competing with my peers, through continuous home
station improvements has kept me engaged in this for almost 40 years.

This is a game changer, and you can be sure more, with greater impact,
are on the way.  If it keeps people active in our beloved hobby,
that’s a good thing!  For those who think guys like me are dinosaurs,
I would kindly suggest you don’t understand what motives us.

73
Ken K4ZW