Re: Topband: 160m polarization and elevation angles

To: topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m polarization and elevation angles
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 20:22:22 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Mark,

Very true on the HF bands. but not true on 160 meters at mid to
high latitudes.

On 160 meters both entry and exit polarization tend to be vertically
polarized at mid to high latitudes. This also applies to the exit from
the ionosphere and re-entry into the ionosphere of intermediate hops
over land and sea at mid to high latitudes.

Horizontal polarization is much more efficiently reflected by intermediate
hops over land, both polarizations are efficiently reflected over sea.
Unfortunately, horizontal polarization doesn't exit and re-enter the ionosphere
efficiently on 160 meters at mid to high latitudes, so most of the energy
re-entering the ionosphere after an intermediate hop is inefficiently
reflected vertical polarization at mid and high latitudes.

This means that long distance propagation over the North Atlantic
on 160 meters is much more efficient from W1 and VE1 where the first
intermediate hop is over the Atlantic Ocean, while propagation from the
other US and VE call areas has its first hop over a much less efficient land.

160 meter long distance propagation is much more efficient to the south

73
Frank
W3LPL