Re: Topband: Recent Article on a 160M Vertical Delta Loop?

To: "Chuck Milam, N9KY" <N9KY@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Recent Article on a 160M Vertical Delta Loop?
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2018 11:23:30 -0500
I did not see the article but I had just
that in the 90's. I had moved from a condo
where I explored copper pipe and shortened
octagon loops. Remembering my
experimenting when the now Ex & I moved to
a house and I had a tower, I experimented
with loops again & this time delta wire on
160.

I had a 110' fold over Heights tower and
had a short delta for 160 attached with
the apex at the top, held off about 15"
from the tower. The corners were attached
with ceramic egg insulators, It was center
fed at the base which was about 20' high.
I had a vacuum variable attached at the
feed point and a length of around 10' of
wire parallel to the tower, running
upwards about 5" from the tower and held
in place with ceramic stand-offs.

I controlled the vac variable via synchros
and with it I could run the entire 160M at
1.1 I'd love to have it again but I'd need
a tall tower to make it effective. I
didn't get the chance to make a matching
short delta, one 90 degrees offset to see
if I could switch between them and find a
gain benefit in a given direction.

However, I did well with it for the few
months I had it up, the next year I had to
relocate and never had another tower
since.

73,

Gary