Re: Topband: My beverage only hears static?

To: kd9sv <kd9sv@comcast.net>, terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: My beverage only hears static?
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 17:49:42 -0800 (PST)
Thanks to all,

I have just swapped out the  coax with new RG-6 and it makes a world of
difference. On  160 mtrs there isn't hardly anything to judge by since signals
if they are there are so low. I tried the broadcast band and the beverage is
now working. Just how well is hard to tell.

One 80 mtrs I was copying a qso between two stations, one who was about
59+10/15 over. When I switched in  the beverage he went way down to about S-1
to S3. I could still copy the stronger of the two stations but the S-9 one I
could not copy at all on the beverage. Just going from background of S-7 and
switching to the beverage I go down to S0/1.

I think I'm going to try a preamp on this beverage. Think my 35-40 dB preamp
for the Waller-Flag might suffice if I cut the gain back a ways.

But the bottom line is the problem appeared to be old RG-6 coax. Like Gary is
saying, it will take some time to be sure. If I can hear the Europeans on
3.799.0 tonight you can bet I'll have a smile on my face. As usual this job
took me about 5 times as long as anyone else. My building antennas or about
anything seems to work out that way. But I'm retired, what else do I have to do
with my time. Right?

Thanks for the help.

Terry

KI7M