Re: Topband: FT-8 question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT-8 question
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 11:55:13 -0600
> As is, its infuriating listening to high noise
> levels on 160m.   If I cant hear on 160m...except for the usual louder
> stations,  Im not going to even try TX.

Don't let noise stop you from transmitting.

>Right now, Im trying to evaluate if 160m is even worth
>the effort required.   Are the  rest of you on 5 acres out in the woods ?

Nope, I am on a 50 x 100 foot lot in town.  Try getting a pair of
small rx loops, two rotators, and a phasing network.  I have two pesky
noise sources from two directions and I can put one in the nulls of
the loops and phase out the other.   Of course all of this is a lot
more trouble than just putting up a dipole so 160 isn't for everyone,
but the challenge sort of gets into you.

I refuse to submit to the plasma TV authority and let 160 m. be the
province of those with "vast tracts of land."  You don't have to have
a S0 noise level to have a nice QSO with someone.

73

Rob
K5UJ