Re: Topband: FT8 qrm

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 qrm
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 13:17:01 -0500
To me, the reality is FT8 is no matter how
someone spins it, using a tiny part of the
spectrum. A reality is few there are using
power with FT8, my Cook Island contact
with FT8 was with something like 40 or so
watts and to many using FT8, that is high
power.

As I see it, here's what'll happen when
people start landing in the middle of the
FT8 spectrum and jumping all over those
there using it; you'll see the FT8 power
increase as is necessary to maintain
communications & you'll have 1500 watt FT8
signals that will be in multiple
simultaneous transmissions that you can't
notch out with the manual or auto notch.
It will ruin your contest to stay there.

Bottom line is the guy parked there on CW
(my favorite mode) will either stay there
to make some kind of point and forfeit the
contest (a'la cutting his nose to spite
his face), or they'll do the smart thing
and move a couple KHz away to a clear
frequency and enjoy the contest without
irritation.

73,