Re: Topband: FT8 on 160m

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: FT8 on 160m
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:23:57 -0500
To me, the issue comes down to contained
or not contained when it comes to signals
on the bands. We're already contained by
the limits of the band itself so there's
effectively a finite space for everyone
and if FT8 or RTTY or XYZ wanted to and
was allowed to be everywhere, the QRM
would be terrible.

As I see it, contained is better than
un-contained in that the smaller dedicated
area for digital/RTTY leaves a much
greater area devoid of it.

FWIW, during the CW contest I had the
filter down to 50Hz, heard DX above me and
realized I was also hearing FT8 & I'd
crossed into that "sub-band" I didn't
respond to their CQ because to me, that
would be intentionally QRMing someone not
in the contest. O'course in the contests
we don't want to QRM another contester
either but we want to be heard first, so
it can be a pig Pile, but that's part of
the game.

73,

Gary
KA1J