Topband: Beverage construction

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage construction
From: Greg Chartrand via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 01:32:12 +0000 (UTC)
Carol,
What kind of transformer are you using? The best transformers are the binocular
core transformers that have separate primary and secondary isolated winding's.
Did you keep the coax shield disconnected from the ground rod? The secondary
should connect the beverage one one wire and ground rod on the other. The
primary should have the coax center and shield NOT connected to anything else.
Are you sure your shield is intact? Check continuity.
GregW7MY

 Subject: Topband: Beverage constructionMessage-ID:
<f5877a90-58cf-a463-2aef-0cfe7370f73f@comcast.net>

Hello all,

I finally put up a beverage antenna...about 400 feet long. I am feeding
it through a 9:1 transformer with some 50 ohm cable ( RG 59). I am
finding that it is noisier than my transmit antenna, contrary to what it
should be. The wire stays about 6-8feet above ground. ground rods at
each end, etc.

Any thoughts on the problem and a cure?

Thanks,

Carol