Re: Topband: Beverage construction

To: "'Carol Richards'" <n2mm@comcast.net>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage construction
From: "JC" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 14:58:23 -0500
Hi Carol

The big issue with any RX antenna is common mode noise, the feed line can
interact with all other wires in your station, including AC wires 115Vac,
rotor cables etc.

Try this, on 9:1 transformer, remove  the beverage wire and connect a 450
resistor. Removing the wire for the resistor de signal coming from the RX
antenna should be zero. Turn the preamplifier on, any noise you hear is not
coming from the antenna and it is common mode noise that you need to clean.

Choke can help a lot if you have a good ground connection.

73's
JC
N4IS